My Favorite Nature Place

I've always loved the beach, until I realized how absolutely terrified of water I truly am. When I went to the beach, I realized I wouldn't even put my toes in the water without being close to panic. So, I have to conclude that even though I love the environment of the beach, it simply can't be my favorite nature place. But, I've also been very fond of hiking in the Marin headlands the view is so beautiful, the air is so fresh but then I'll look down. Well, I hate to say it, but the water surrounding the cliffs... it terrifies me a little too. So I guess that the headlands, and other cliffs overlooking water can't be my favorite place either.
So, what can be my favorite nature place if it can't be anywhere close to water? Thats easy, deep in a lush forest. Growing up my family would take vacations to Fort Bragg, and unfortunately for me that included a lot of beach trips to the sea glass beach (which I am NOT fond of for more reasons than just the water). But these trips introduced me to one of the most beautiful places that I admire endlessly on the drive home. The lush, green, fresh forest surrounding the highway.
The beauty of the diversity of life residing in the forest stuns me every single time. And the different layers that protect different communities inside of it. When hiking through the forest, I feel like I'm in a another world that if I'm not careful I might disturb. The one downfall to the forest though - I'm turned off by bugs. But this doesn't even compare to my fear of water, so it's very easy for me to conclude my favorite place in nature.
Forests are so densely packed with life. Everywhere you look there are animals, bugs, plants and other flora and fauna that makeup the complex world that we are stepping into. Something as complex as a city in every step. Could there be tunnels of burrowing animals underneath you? Bug nests nestled in the tree stumps you just passed? Spiderwebs hanging from the branches just above you? With every step you can be met with something completely new.

Comments